9 May 2014

The wonderful, wearable handmade wardrobe. Part one

If I'm to have a wonderfully wearable handmade wardrobe I needed to start sewing again.  I set about thinking how to do this and came up with an idea.  Since I started sewing I have only bought two tops so I tend to wear the same things all the time.  Taking on board ideas from Colettes Wardrobe Architect I came up with the following list.

1) A sleeveless dress
2 ) A sleeveless top
3) A short sleeve dress
4) A short sleeve top
5) A skirt

I also decided that I could double this list if I made a woven and a knit of each.  Starting with the wovens.  So that means I already have 10 projects to make.  I would also like to make some PJ's, a coat and some trousers, but these will have to wait for now.  I plan on using up my stash of fabric first if possible and any patterns that I have already.  This part is more difficult as I love seeing new patterns and especially as Tilly and the Buttons book Love at First Stitch has come out this week.



Part One Wovens
First pattern was for a sleeveless dress - I had bought Colettes Hazel last year but had not made a successfully finished one.  I had some beautiful blue floral cotton lawn last August and decided that this would be put to good use on this pattern.  I chose not to do a FBA on this as LLadybird suggested it wasn't necessary. I cut a 2 bust graded to a 6 at the waist and hips.



 This is the best fit I have ever had on a strappy dress.  I also love how they cover over the bra perfectly.  I was not able to put the invisible zipper in as neatly as I would like and I'm not sure I really understood this part of the instructions.  I love a dress with pockets and cannot wait for the sun to come out so I can wear it.



 Although the floral print looks good I would love to make another where the bodice is a contrasting colour as this looks really dramatic.  I will be making another Hazel in the future but next time I think a solid colour or chambray version.



Me Made May 2014



This is the outfit I wore for the first week of Me Made May 2014-  I am trying to wear one handmade item each week.  Week one Sewaholic Alma -  Really pleased I wore this as I got compliments about it.  Much better to wear it than have it lurking unloved at the back of the cupboard.

I had hoped that the rain would stop to allow for the photos get done will add them asap.  I have also updated the about me  and contact me sections of this blog.

Next week Colette Sorbetto...




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment