17 Oct 2013

Entangled for dressmaking


This is my first fabric pattern review  in my new monthly feature.  Actually when I first thought of this as an idea it was the first fabric that sprung to mind.  When I started sewing it was mainly due to the beautiful range of crafting and quilting fabrics out there, but when I started dressmaking I realised that many of the exquisite patterns did not give the drape needed for some patterns. So whats a girl to do?

I  found that a lot of my sewing time was being taken up with sourcing fabric. Sometimes I would like the pattern but the fabric was wrong.  Other times I would find the right fabric but not the right pattern, or worse right fabric, right pattern , wrong colours.  So introducing my first fabric choice Entangled by Hang Tight Studio.  Heather Dutton - the designer behind this beautiful design is based in Maine, USA and her design is available from many places including Modern Yardage and Spoonflower.  

The design can be printed in a variety of scales (small, medium and large), which is perfect for a range of projects, and also on a range of fabrics, both woven and knits.  In a recent offer Spoonflower were sending a free swatch of their new performance knit fabric.  I choose to have Entangled in Bloem Grey as my free swatch but this design is available in so many (32) different colour ways.   



There have also been several versions of this made into dresses and I recommend you take a look.  Many of you will have seen the simply perfect navy and white entangled Colette hawthorn dress by Emma and also a very pretty block dress for a little girl by Steph at girl. Inspired.  If you know of any other versions please let me know as it would be great to add them to this page.




How would I use this pattern.  Well I love this geometric, directional print, a clever take on polka dot spots and pin stripes .  I would love to make another April Rhodes Staple Dress, but if feeling up for more of a challenge, I could really see this a Sewaholic Minoru Coat In fact in contrasting colours for the outer and lining would be really fun.


Sewaholic Minoru - very much on my wish list White Lining and Navy Shell
Well I hope you have enjoyed this first fabric pattern review and maybe have started planning your own project.  If you have let me know which colour and pattern you would use?  Also any comments and thoughts on this as a regular feature would be great.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment